[SciPy-User] Layering a virtualenv over EPD

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Sat Mar 10 16:45:41 CST 2012

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 22:40, Chris Withers <chris@simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> On 10/03/2012 14:22, Robert Kern wrote:
>>>
>>> So, here's the problem I'm facing: I use EPD as my base python, but I
>>> have a bunch of projects that all have additional dependencies.
>>

>> Questions about EPD should go to epd-users@enthought.com
>

> Well, okay, but this is a more generic question that seems to face a lot of
> SciPy users: "I want to layer some stuff on top of a binary install of the
> scipy stuff, without poluting that base layer", that base layer being EPD,
> OS-installed packages, etc...
>

>>> ...but now, how would I start ipython using that virutalenv?
>>>
>>> I tried just running "ipython", but of course, that doesn't include the
>>> virtualenv.
>>

>> You need to install IPython in your virtualenv.
>

> Okay, but how do I do that without having to build the whole of ipython
> myself?

The best way to use IPython in your virtualenv is to install it in
your virtualenv. It's easy.

> How do I say "just let me run ipython (or any of the other binary
> tools that are in scipy)

There are no executable scripts in scipy.

> with a virtual env wrapped over it?

If you must, you can edit the ipython script that you already have
installed. Change the #! line to be

  #!/usr/bin/env python

instead of the full path to your EPD Python executable. This will make
the ipython script use whichever "python" executable is first in your
$PATH. If you have your virtualenv activated, this will be the
virtualenv's "python" executable.

--
Robert Kern