[SciPy-User] Contributing to SciPy was Re: Least-squares fittings with bounds: why is scipy not up to the task?

Wed Mar 14 02:21:41 CDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 8:04 AM, Scott Sinclair <scott.sinclair.za@gmail.com
> wrote:

> On 13 March 2012 16:47, denis <denis-bz-gg@t-online.de> wrote:
> > 1) Q+As are I think well covered by stackoverflow, so don't reinvent
> > that wheel
> >    (although I liked advice.mechanicalkern.com)
>
> I've always liked the idea of advice.mechanicalkern.com or
> ask.scipy.org as a good way of hosting an FAQ (there is some good
> content on both sites), but I guess we could encourage using Stack
> Overflow instead.
>
> > 2) there are quite a few sites to put up recipes
> >    but 100 unsorted recipes do not make a cookbook
> >    even with a snazzy cover.
> >    Sure user feedback, comments, weeding, organizing are important
> >    but weeding and sorting scipy.org/Cookbook is difficult-to-
> > impossible,
> >    not happening. (Don't see what copying the lot would gain us.)
>
> Selective copying could be useful, but that's still a lot of work and
> it doesn't look like there are (m)any volunteers at this stage.

Can we start by removing recipes that aren't useful anymore, links to
external sites (there are ~40 OpenOpt / FuncDesigner links for example) and
the list of all pages? That would cut down the Cookbook page to a more
manageable size immediately.

Then there will be some things left that can land in the numpy/scipy
tutorials, and some things for SciPy Central. Moving that content will
still be a lot of work, but much less than what it looks like now.

Ralf