[SciPy-User] ANN: New PyData mailing list for pandas and other data-related projects

Wes McKinney wesmckinn@gmail....
Thu Mar 15 17:35:43 CDT 2012

hi all,

Coming out of PyCon, there was a clear need to better organize &
support the growing pandas userbase and broader "Python for Data"
community. To that end, we've created a new Google Group which will
become the more official home of pandas discussions and, we hope,
broader data-related discussions.

http://groups.google.com/group/pydata

We've already begun to organize under the PyData banner for GitHub:
https://github.com/pydata. I envision a rich ecosystem of projects in
this namespace.

There's also a new #pydata channel on irc.freenode.net. Join us!

Many of you have also noticed the new pydata.org domain where the
pandas project page is hosted:

http://pandas.pydata.org/

The root domain currently points to the new NumFOCUS non-profit
organization, but only as a placeholder (that's really at
http://numfocus.org/). Thanks to them for the generous hosting
support.

This domain will soon become a portal for data scientists (analysts,
hackers, whatever term floats your boat) who use, or want to use,
Python.

Plans for this website are nascent, but the intention is to provide
better resources for new people entering the ecosystem (e.g.. which
packages to use for each problem domain, cookbook-like examples for
problem domains, access to open data sets, simpler installation &
setup, conference/tutorial/meetup announcements, etc.)

The specific mechanism for creating & curating the website are
undetermined. A wiki is the right philosophy, but functionally has
some real drawbacks. Regardless, the goal is to make the website
community-driven.

What do you need to take action on? If you're a pandas user, or are
interested in data tools for Python, please join the new group. pandas
mailing list traffic will be progressively shifted toward this new
list.

I also encourage you to start using the #pydata and #pystats hash tags
on Twitter to help establish a community presence there.

Looking forward to the rest of 2012-- lots of exciting things ahead!

cheers,
Wes