[SciPy-User] OSX, Python 3.2.2 and NumPy/SciPy

Sat Mar 24 17:24:04 CDT 2012

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Chris Share <cpsmusic@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to Python however I have a reasonable amount of programming
> experience (C/C++).
>
> I'm currently working on OSX (10.6.8) and I've installed Python 3.2.2. OSX
> also comes with Python 2.6.6.
>
> I'm interested in scientific computing so I'd like to install Numpy/SciPy.
> I've managed to do this for the 2.6.6 version of Python however I'm unclear
> as to how I do this for the 3.2.2 version.
>
> According to the 3.2.2 installer ReadMe:
>
> The installer puts applications, an "Update Shell Profile" command,
> and a link to the optionally installed Python Documentation into the
> "Python 3.2" subfolder of the system Applications folder,
> and puts the underlying machinery into the folder
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework. It can
> optionally place links to the command-line tools in /usr/local/bin as
> well. Double-click on the "Update Shell Profile" command to add the
> "bin" directory inside the framework to your shell's search path.
>

> How do install NumPy/SciPy so that the 3.2.2 version of IDLE can access
> them?

There's no binary installer for Python 3.x on OS X yet, so you have to
compile numpy/scipy. Assuming you have XCode installed and the correct
gfortran compiler (linked at http://scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Mac_OS_X),
you simply type "python setup.py install" in the base dir of the
numpy/scipy repos. It will first convert the source with 2to3 to python 3.x
format, then compile and install it. You should then be able to import it
in IDLE.

Cheers,
Ralf