[SciPy-User] Which stats package am I missing for a function to do L-moments to Pearson 3 parameters calculation?

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Wed Nov 28 17:59:31 CST 2012

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 6:31 PM,  <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 6:08 PM, James Adams <monocongo@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have also found Python code in CDAT which appears to provide this
>> here: http://www2-pcmdi.llnl.gov/cdat/contrib/lmomentsdoc
>> (specifically the PELPE3 function).  Does this look reasonable?  Has
>> anyone else ever used CDAT, is it solid, etc.?  It looks like it'll be
>> a bear to install, so I don't want to start down that path unless
>> it'll probably be worth it.
>
> It looks like another wrapper of J. R. M. HOSKING's fortran code, the
> wrapper looks like just a thin f2py wrapper.
> Maybe the same is available in the hydroclimpy wrapper. I never
> checked how complete the wrapping is.

hydroclimpy also has Pearson 3 distribution, including cdf
https://github.com/pierregm/scikits.hydroclimpy/blob/master/scikits/hydroclimpy/stats/extradistributions.py#L306

I didn't find PELPE3 in hydroclimpy, only estimation for kappa seems
to be there.

on the other hand
https://www2-pcmdi.llnl.gov/trac/browser/cdat/trunk/contrib/lmoments/Src/pelpe3.for
is only a few lines, which shouldn't be too difficult to translate into python.

so the CDAT wrapper contains more functions

Josef