[SciPy-User] Scipy stack: standard packages (poll)

Christoph Gohlke cgohlke@uci....
Wed Oct 3 17:27:27 CDT 2012

On 10/3/2012 3:09 PM, Thomas Kluyver wrote:
> On 3 October 2012 22:06, Christoph Gohlke <cgohlke@uci.edu> wrote:
>> it was mentioned before: none of the suggested packages can read or
>> write image files on their own, except for matplotlib's built-in PNG
>> support. Matplotlib, Scipy and skimage depend on other, optional
>> packages or binaries for image I/O: PIL, FreeImage, GDAL, PyQt.
>
> If we include scikits-image (which looks unlikely based on the current
> poll results), we had agreed to specify FreeImage, or possibly one of
> FreeImage and PIL.
>
> Matplotlib will need at least one backend installed, and the
> documentation says "Most backends support png, pdf, ps, eps and svg."
> That seems adequate. For saving images, there's less need to require a
> range of formats than if loading them is a key feature.
>
> Thomas

I thought PIL was out of question because it's abandonware.

Did anyone check if the triple-licensing option of FreeImage (GPLv2,
GPLv3, or FIPL) is compatible with the Scipy stack? Also, FreeImage is
not a Python package.

Pdf, ps, eps and svg are vector graphics formats, not adequate for image IO.

Christoph