[SciPy-User] Scipy stack: standard packages (poll)

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Wed Oct 3 17:42:35 CDT 2012

On 3 October 2012 23:27, Christoph Gohlke <cgohlke@uci.edu> wrote:
> Did anyone check if the triple-licensing option of FreeImage (GPLv2,
> GPLv3, or FIPL) is compatible with the Scipy stack? Also, FreeImage is
> not a Python package.

IANAL, but I think the FIPL is acceptable. It looks roughly equivalent to LGPL.
http://freeimage.sourceforge.net/freeimage-license.txt

> Pdf, ps, eps and svg are vector graphics formats, not adequate for image IO.

For saving plots, vector formats + png seems adequate to me. PNG is
lossless, so it can be converted to other raster formats if there's a
specific need. And the standard is a minimum: distributions are free
to support other image formats beyond these.

For loading images, I agree that these options would not be adequate -
at least JPEG support is important. But if scikits-image is not
included, loading image files is not a key concern, so I don't think
we need to specify it.

Thanks,
Thomas