[SciPy-User] Scipy stack: standard packages (poll)

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Thu Oct 4 07:19:58 CDT 2012

On 4 October 2012 13:07, Nathaniel Smith <njs@pobox.com> wrote:
> This suggests another possible way of coming up with the base package
> list... if a package is already included in all of
>   Python(x,y), EPD, Anaconda, Debian, Redhat, <whatever other relevant
> distros I'm missing>

The the question becomes one of which distros are relevant. If we
count EPD Free, for example, only nose (of the packages in the poll)
is common to all the distributions at present.

For Linux distributions, it's trickier: I have a wealth of packages
available from the Ubuntu repositories, but they're mostly not
installed by default - I'm not sure if even numpy is in a default
installation. The intention is to make a metapackage called something
like scipy-stack, which will pull in all the relevant packages. But
for now, there's no set of packages you can assume will be installed
together.

Thomas