[SciPy-User] Naming Ideas

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Wed Sep 5 07:11:42 CDT 2012

On 5 September 2012 12:46,  <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sciotope or Scitope    the biotope for science (in python)
>     biotope has closer sounds in other languages than biome

Thanks, Josef. I don't think 'biotope' is a familiar word in the
English speaking world, though - I'm a biologist, and I had to look it
up ;-) . Wikipedia suggests it's more common in German. Scitope either
makes me think of topiary, or I hear it as 'cite-hope'.

Andreas
> I like this one. Or even ScPyotope ...

My gut feeling is that four syllables is too many.

While I'm discussing my own opinions, I'd vote against 'pyengine'
(engine connotes more a dumb but powerful processing system) and
'matsyspy' (it sounds more specific, and the syllables don't roll off
my tongue). I haven't yet formed a favourite, although it would
probably be Pyscis if it wasn't for the confusingly similar names.

Another possible vein of names is the snake theme - as in the Python
IDE 'Boa Constructor'. Are any snakes particularly scientific? Perhaps
the adder? ;-). Or there are Monty Python references - but the name
will have to work for people who don't know the joke as well.

Thanks,
Thomas