[SciPy-User] Naming Ideas

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Wed Sep 5 08:24:14 CDT 2012

On 5 September 2012 14:05, Nathaniel Smith <njs@pobox.com> wrote:
> The only name that people seem to actually like for this is "PyLab".
> Of course the problem is that people liked it enough that it has
> existing usages (matplotlib.pylab, ipython -pylab, etc.) that AFAICT
> are now considered to be poorly put together and deprecated. But the
> actual meaning has always been pretty much what we're looking for
> here, and it has existing name recognition.

I quite like this idea at first glance. A quick search suggests that
someone else (Keir Mierle, CCed here) had a similar idea some time ago
: http://www.scipy.org/PyLab

As a minimum, I think we'd need to get pylab.org and build an
introduction site there. pylab.org currently redirects to
https://bitbucket.org/vejnar/pylab_build (a seemingly unrelated use of
the term pylab). But that seems to have been inactive for 2 years, so
maybe vejnar wouldn't mind parting with it.

Thomas