[SciPy-User] Naming Ideas

Jason Grout jason-sage@creativetrax....
Wed Sep 5 11:27:53 CDT 2012

On 9/5/12 10:58 AM, Travis Oliphant wrote:

> On Sep 5, 2012, at 4:54 AM, Thomas Kluyver wrote:
>
>> On 4 September 2012 03:14, The Helmbolds <helmrp@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> If there is a need for a name that includes more than just SciPy, then I
>>> suggest we consider something like the following:
>>> MatSysPy, pronounced  "mat-sis-pie".
>>
>> Thanks, I guess you're referring to my recent thread about making a
>> unified 'brand' for the scipy ecosystem? I agree that picking a good
>> name is important
>>
>> To recap, names suggested so far:
>>
>> Sciome - from the numfocus proposal (potential confusion with sciome.com)
>> PyScis - pronounced like pisces (potential confusion with PySCeS and
>> PySci, two unrelated Python projects)
>> Scipy-base
>> Unipy
>> MatSysPy
>> Pyengine
>> Pycraft
>

> I like unipy as well.

What about just expanding the SciPy name brand?  SciPy captures the
essence, I think---a scientific python software suite.  It's easy to say
and already has a lot of name recognition (though that also might be a
negative).

Just thought I'd throw that out there.  Other than that, pylab is my
favorite, for what it's worth.

Thanks,

Jason