[SciPy-User] Naming Ideas

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Wed Sep 5 11:38:00 CDT 2012

Matt:
> I would suggest the name "hunter"

A tribute to John Hunter would certainly be nice, but I think it would
need to be rather more indirect. We'd have a hard time getting a good
domain name or search position for a popular name like hunter or
orion.

> PyLab is a nice, clear, memorable name, but I feel like it's a bad fit
> for what is being suggested because it brings to mind Matlab, and, at
> least to me, suggests that we're just playing catch-up with that.

I agree that it's not ideal, but I think the name 'pylab' now has a
good reputation independent of Matlab. Ultimately, the important
question is: can we find any new name that will work better than
pylab?

On 5 September 2012 16:59, Perry Greenfield <perry@stsci.edu> wrote:
> It's short, google unique, spelling is pretty connected to
> pronunciation, and makes reasonable sense.

Can I ask that people include the name they mean in their own post,
not just 'it'? It's an extra click for me to expand quoted replies.
;-) Thanks. (Perry was expressing support for Pylab)

Jason:
> What about just expanding the SciPy name brand?  SciPy captures the
> essence, I think---a scientific python software suite.  It's easy to say
> and already has a lot of name recognition (though that also might be a
> negative).

That has some upsides, like fitting in with the various SciPy
conferences. But unless scipy-the-package were to be renamed, I think
there would be a lot of confusion, e.g. about how to install
scipy-the-package or scipy-the-stack. The friction for using the name
Pylab seems lower, as it's not currently a project in its own right.

Thanks,
Thomas