[SciPy-User] Naming Ideas

Benjamin Root ben.root@ou....
Wed Sep 5 19:58:14 CDT 2012

On Wednesday, September 5, 2012, Thomas Kluyver wrote:

> On 5 September 2012 18:29, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> > So my vote at this point is for pylab, and if we do follow that route,
> > I suggest we coordinate with the matplotlib team to perhaps start
> > changing the docstring in that module and gradually deprecate it as a
> > standalone entry point
>
> Thanks Fernando, that's a good point. I've no doubt some of the
> matplotlib crew are on this mailing list, but I'll ping
> matplotlib-devel as well.
>
> Thomas

Argh, this discussion again.  We are obviously not marketers.

Yes, pylab does keep coming up as a favorite (although I liked "unipy").

As much as pylab has been the bane of my existence as one of the
maintainers, it is usually *the* entry point for new-comers.  so, this
positions itself well for expansion of the domain/scope of it's purpose.

I am against deprecation because it serves an important purpose/niche.
 However, I can imagine spinning pylab off as a new project that serves its
current purpose, but allows it to grow outside its current scope.  This
would be beneficial to many as it streamlines mpl, as well as allows us to
clarify/target our docs for a particular audience while the pylab project
could be better structured to introduce concepts and bring users up to
speed.

Thoughts?
Ben Root