[SciPy-User] Naming Ideas

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Thu Sep 6 08:00:38 CDT 2012

On 6 September 2012 13:35, Alan G Isaac <alan.isaac@gmail.com> wrote:
> The narrow goal of the current discussion as I understand it is to
> standardize a subset of packages for scientific computing and to
> provide a name that distributors can use to signal that they
> include this set.

Also, more importantly to my mind, having a clear name for what we
sometimes call the 'scipy ecosystem', and a good starting point for
new users. I see it as three components:

- The name (the focus of discussion in this thread)
- A website with an introduction and getting started instructions.
- A standard, like Linux Standard Base, that distributions like EPD
can conform to
(In a similar vein, I'd like to make a Linux metapackage, so you can
do "apt-get install pylab-base")

Thomas