[SciPy-User] Naming Ideas

David Baddeley david_baddeley@yahoo.com...
Sun Sep 9 16:33:59 CDT 2012

My 2c would be for sticking with SciPy as the description - there's already scipy the package, and scipy the community/ecosystem, why not also add scipy the environment? - it worked for linux (kernel/OS/ecosystem). I'm sure this could be accomplished with only minor edits to the scipy.org site.

pylab, as a second choice.

if a new name is desired, I'll throw LabPy into the mix - it has many of the advantages of pylab, would fit nicely into a NumPy, SciPy, LabPy hierachy, is google-unique, none of the associated domains are registered, and is somewhat more distant from matlab.

On a side note, due to the nature of the scipy community (different packages for different tasks), what will constitute scipy-core (or whatever the minimum environment specification ends up being called). I have a feeling that past numpy, scipy, and matplotlib this is going to be difficult to agree on. My scipy-core would, for example, include PIL and pytables, but not pandas - but I'm sure many will dissagree.

cheers,
David

________________________________
 From: "josef.pktd@gmail.com" <josef.pktd@gmail.com>
To: SciPy Users List <scipy-user@scipy.org>
Sent: Saturday, 8 September 2012 11:38 PM
Subject: Re: [SciPy-User] Naming Ideas

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 9:25 PM, K.-Michael Aye <kmichael.aye@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2012-09-07 23:56:26 +0000, josef.pktd@gmail.com said:
>
>> On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 7:33 PM, K.-Michael Aye <kmichael.aye@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> SPylab ? ;)
>>>
>>> If not that, than I would comment that I don't think the name 'pylab'
>>> connotates towards a matlab clone. there are so many xxxlab names
>>> there. I also was thinking of scilab, but that's taken by some French
>>> numerical software package.
>>
>> I thought scilab is a matlab imitation, or it's advertised as "close
>> alternative"
>
> That might still be true. But /my/ first google hit provides this:
>
> http://scilab.org
> and they have this in their legal notice:
>
> Scilab Enterprises
> Headquarters : 2 rue Jean Rostand, Parc Orsay Université
> 91893 Orsay Cedex - France
> So it /IS/ 'some' french numerical software package. ;)

I didn't agree with that, scilab is older than the enterprise version

Scilab Enterprises
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 (Scilab Enterprises)
Copyright (c) 1989-2012 (INRIA)
Copyright (c) 1989-2007 (ENPC)

and they have a large part of the documentation on matlab script conversion

All I'm saying is that for me anything xxxlab sounds like it's a close
alternative to matlab and that looks like the wrong advertising
strategy to me.

"If it's close to matlab, then we better use matlab since they have
more development resources."
If I were still working in an institute/consulting center that doesn't
have problems spending the money to buy matlab licenses.
(I installed scilab and octave years ago, but never used them since I
had matlab.)

The main reason to use python is not that it's a cheaper way of doing
the same thing (but we can do more things in an easier way).

For a long term strategy, I would prefer a new nice name, like
"pandas".  (or octave or ubuntu or debian or gretl)
With some advertising after a year or two everyone who cares knows what it is.

But we are just talking about a distribution standard not a fancy new
package, so I don't really care a lot.

Py4Sci     sounds ok to me for this     (translating into french might
be difficult)

Josef
shutting up after this.