[SciPy-User] scipy.interpolate.UnivariateSpline overshoot (with picture)

Brad Malone brad.malone@gmail....
Tue Sep 11 12:49:26 CDT 2012

Hi, I am trying to use scipy.interpolate.UnivariateSpline to interpolate a
region of a plot I have where there are few data points. See the figure of
my data here: http://tinypic.com/r/dq4o3s/6

The red and blue data points are my raw data (the blue points simply being
the subset of the red data that I want to obtain an interpolated curve
from). I created a sublist of the blue points and then called

   s=UnivariateSpline(newx,newy,s=1)

The blue line is the spline interpolated on a grid of 1000 points between
my initial blue raw data point and my final blue raw data point. As you can
see, the spline works quite well, except for at the peak of the curve where
it overshoots a tad bit. I was curious as to whether there was an easy fix
to this (perhaps an option to UnivariateSpline that I am unaware of). If
not, any other solutions to correct this overshoot?

I appreciate any suggestions you can give.

Best,
Brad