[SciPy-User] Pylab - standard packages

Matthew Brett matthew.brett@gmail....
Tue Sep 18 18:16:02 CDT 2012

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 12:03 AM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18 September 2012 23:44, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think I don't understand any more what is proposed.  You mean pylab
>> would be a sort of seal of conformity to the "pylab" standard?  So you
>> know you have pylab iff you have Python > .... etc?  Then
>> distributions like EPD and Python XY would be pylab-certified in some
>> sense?
>
> I see my proposal as having three parts: the name, the website (which
> newcomers find when they search for the name), and the standard, which
> distributions like EPD and Python(x,y) will, I hope, conform to. These
> distributions are then ways to install pylab - or a dedicated user can
> install the pieces individually, and still end up with pylab. I'm not
> trying to make a canonical scientific Python distribution - that's a
> much bigger challenge.

OK - but the website and the name point us to the standard, and thence
to some installers for that standard?   You are not proposing any new
installers, but that the standard basically says something like:

""""You have Pylab if you have python >= 2.6, scipy > 0.9.0, ...

Your options for installing these are:
Windows : - python x, y or EPD or individual download and install
OSX : EPD or individual download and install
Linux : apt-get / yum / whatever install python-pylab
"""

So, if we are adding packages to this collection, we are more or less
lobbying python (x, y) or EPD for those changes?

Best,

Matthew