[SciPy-User] Pylab - standard packages

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Wed Sep 19 04:29:45 CDT 2012

On 19 September 2012 07:44, Christoph Gohlke <cgohlke@uci.edu> wrote:
> the recent poll "Scientific Python packages: Popularity check" by Pierre
> Raybaut [1] might be of interest.

Thanks Christoph, that is interesting. After numpy, scipy & matplotlib
(each around 270 votes), other popular modules include PyQt (162), PIL
(118), SymPy (112) and ETS (102). N.B. Cython and IPython weren't
included in the poll.

Almar:
> I liked the idea (can't remember where I've read/heard it) that different groups can maintain their own page with
> packages that are relevant to their field. As someone working in medical imaging I would suggest skimage and
> pydicom should be in the standard, but as a biologists you may not even know what pydicom is :)  So it's kind of
> two levels, but the second level is partitioned in different topics.

I quite like this idea as well, although it's not without its own
troubles. The different fields aren't neatly delineated, so it will be
rather subjective who should find what package useful. And it's
probably too much complexity for distributions to provide multiple
bundled pylab profiles, so users would still be installing those extra
packages themselves.

My issue with the simpler multiple-levels (core vs recommended/full)
idea is that it's not clear who the target audience is. Given that
this is a user-facing name, I think each level needs a clear "get this
version if you ..." story. If we decide that Cython is important and
it should be in the 'full' level, who only needs the 'core' set? The
answer can't include 'if you need to interface with C libraries',
because newcomers won't know what they need in that kind of detail.

Best wishes,
Thomas