[SciPy-User] Pylab - standard packages

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Fri Sep 21 10:10:11 CDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 10:50 AM, Nathaniel Smith <njs@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 3:39 PM,  <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Stata and matlab have a much nicer interaction of shell and editor,
>> and data viewer, and ...
>> and they work after clicking a few install buttons (and paying first of course).
>>
>> Obviously I'm in a minority, I like Windows (TM), GUIs, spyder, git
>> gui and use ipython only in emergencies.
>
> But within spyder, you still surely use a python shell of some sort,
> yes? And isn't ipython a superior option to the regular python repl
> for these purposes?

I'm not and I'm not using the fancy spyder shell with import *.
Most of the times I'm using the plainest shell available. spyder is
very fast opening a new shell each time, and I can make sure I don't
have any leftover variables, imports, ... and no reloads.
python -i "this_script.py"
tab completion, object inspector, variable viewer and so on are always
just a click or key away.

besides that, right now I have incompatible versions of spyder and ipython.

> (Personally I just use ipython at the terminal, and I've really only
> trained my fingers to always start ipython instead of python in the
> last few months.)

My memory for commandline commands and syntax is too small to work without GUI.

Josef