[SciPy-User] Pylab - standard packages

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Fri Sep 21 12:04:06 CDT 2012

To stay focussed, here's a current draft, based on Fernando's slide of
the pylab ecosystem:

Python (2.x >= 2.6 or 3.x* >= 3.2)
Numpy (>= 1.5)
Scipy (>= 0.10)
Matplotlib (>= 1.1)
IPython (>= 0.12; hopefully we can get this sorted out for
Python(x,y). Notebook ability not a requirement.)
SymPy          Versions still to be determined.
pandas
StatsModels
scikits-learn
scikits-image
PyTables
NetworkX

* About Python 3: it's currently blocked by matplotlib (fixed by the
imminent 1.2 release), SymPy (work done by a GSoC student, waiting for
a release?) and Pytables (commit log shows work towards Python 3
support). Hopefully in a few months it will be possible to build a
Python 3 distribution meeting the standard.

My only concern about including this many packages is that over half
of them aren't in EPD Free, and I'm not sure how Enthought would feel
about expanding their free tier that much (I'm sure there are
Enthought people on this list - feel free to chime in). I think it's
important that there is a free, cross platform distribution that users
can download without worrying about licensing. Maybe we should point
users to the more comprehensive Anaconda CE.

Thanks,
Thomas