[SciPy-User] Pylab - standard packages

Skipper Seabold jsseabold@gmail....
Fri Sep 21 12:15:17 CDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl@gmail.com> wrote:

> To stay focussed, here's a current draft, based on Fernando's slide of
> the pylab ecosystem:
>
> Python (2.x >= 2.6 or 3.x* >= 3.2)
> Numpy (>= 1.5)
> Scipy (>= 0.10)
> Matplotlib (>= 1.1)
> IPython (>= 0.12; hopefully we can get this sorted out for
> Python(x,y). Notebook ability not a requirement.)
> SymPy          Versions still to be determined.
> pandas
> StatsModels
> scikits-learn
> scikits-image
> PyTables
> NetworkX

This sounds great. A few others I usually put in a fresh install.

mpmath
sphinx

I also like the idea of having (configurable) default imports (**with
namespaces**), though I'd think we might discuss what exactly gets imported
by default and what the standards will be. Everyone has different needs of
course, but I'm sure there's some commonality. Mine looks something like

import numpy as np
np.set_printoptions(suppress=True)
import statsmodels.api as sm
import pandas