[SciPy-User] Pylab - standard packages

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers@gmail....
Fri Sep 21 13:25:49 CDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 7:47 PM, Skipper Seabold <jsseabold@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 1:36 PM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 21 September 2012 18:15, Skipper Seabold <jsseabold@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > This sounds great. A few others I usually put in a fresh install.
>> >
>> > mpmath
>> > sphinx
>>
>> I don't know about mpmath. I probably wouldn't include Sphinx in the
>> spec, as it's important more when you're developing and releasing
>> packages. But it does return us to the question about general-purpose
>> Python packages. Should we require distribute, for example - or just
>> specify that there must be a package installation mechanism?
>

> What about popular tools like requests?

Never heard about it before just now, and not really related to scientific
computing.

Or things like GUI toolkits that are difficult to install separately?
>> Although PyQt would rather
>> increase the minimum size.

We're talking about the base (non-compiler) version, right? Then -1 on GUI
toolkits.

We need nose to run tests for almost all packages.

I'd further suggest PIL (pillow) -- still popular .... sigh. Or better
actually, make sure FreeImage is in with scikits-image.

h5py seems to be close to PyTables in popularity and growing faster,
perhaps include both?

I like the idea of trying to emulate something like R's install.package
> (eventually). This, to me, is one of the reasons it's so successful. The
> target audience, as I think it is for pylab, is users - people that are
> proficient at writing scripts and generally smart problem solvers but not
> necessarily extremely great programmers. For example, I don't think there's
> an assumption that the average R user has working knowledge of how to build
> a package from scratch. Developers, on the other hand, don't need too much
> hand holding to get the other tools they need - e.g., compilers, sphinx
> probably falls in here, etc. If having things like distribute in the
> package helps move us in this direction (would it?), then I think that's a
> good argument for including it.

Before something like a robust "install.package" is a reality, I'm not sure
requiring setuptools/distribute/pip/... is useful. It breaks all the time,
which will give new users a poor impression of Pylab (or Python).
Python(x,y)'s solution of plugins as .exe files is much less likely to
break if done right.

Ralf