[SciPy-User] Pylab - standard packages

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Fri Sep 21 15:47:59 CDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers@gmail.com> wrote:
> We're talking about the base (non-compiler) version, right? Then -1 on GUI
> toolkits.

As much as it pains me, I agree: the situation with Qt is really not
easy.  I don't know if pyside is yet a full replacement for PyQt, at
least from what I've seen pyqt still works a lot better.  And what
with Nokia jettisoning Qt overboard, its future is by no means a clear
one.  That's a project of a complexity far too large for our limited
resources to tackle, I'm afraid.

There are three things that are hugely important but that due to their
complexity I think we should shy away from, at least at the start and
for the 'base' spec:

- cython/numba/f2py: compilers needed (and possibly three different ones!)
- mayavi: VTK and a GUI toolkit.
- Qt

I do use all of the above (well, not numba yet), but it's one thing to
deploy this stuff on a personally-managed up to date linux box,
another altogether to define a spec we can be sure will be met by
everyone who will face the packaging/distribution nightmare across all
platforms.