[SciPy-User] Pylab - standard packages

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Fri Sep 21 15:49:52 CDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 6:47 PM, Skipper Seabold <jsseabold@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 1:36 PM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 21 September 2012 18:15, Skipper Seabold <jsseabold@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > This sounds great. A few others I usually put in a fresh install.
>> >
>> > mpmath
>> > sphinx
>>
>> I don't know about mpmath. I probably wouldn't include Sphinx in the
>> spec, as it's important more when you're developing and releasing
>> packages. But it does return us to the question about general-purpose
>> Python packages. Should we require distribute, for example - or just
>> specify that there must be a package installation mechanism? What
>> about popular tools like requests? Or things like GUI toolkits that
>> are difficult to install separately? Although PyQt would rather
>> increase the minimum size.
>

> I like the idea of trying to emulate something like R's install.package
> (eventually). This, to me, is one of the reasons it's so successful. The
> target audience, as I think it is for pylab, is users - people that are
> proficient at writing scripts and generally smart problem solvers but not
> necessarily extremely great programmers. For example, I don't think there's
> an assumption that the average R user has working knowledge of how to build
> a package from scratch. Developers, on the other hand, don't need too much
> hand holding to get the other tools they need - e.g., compilers, sphinx
> probably falls in here, etc. If having things like distribute in the package
> helps move us in this direction (would it?), then I think that's a good
> argument for including it.

I don't think distribute (which is just setuptools with a different
set of bugs) is a solution to any problem we are facing. I agree R
install.package is a killer feature. FWIW, that has always been part
of what I want to achieve with bento (I spent quite a bit of time
around R system when annoucing what would become bento at scipy india
in 2009).

David