[SciPy-User] Pylab - standard packages

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Fri Sep 21 15:52:44 CDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 12:54 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs@pobox.com> wrote:
> I'd be inclined to include the core packages that might be expected
> for simple package development: virtualenv, distribute, sphinx, nose.
> Going back to the R example, my experience is that a *lot* of people
> write and distribute tiny R packages. Including people I wouldn't have
> expected too, and they're not always terribly professional, but they
> sort of dip their toes in the water and go from there. We should
> encourage a gentle slope from hacking together some algorithm for a
> paper -> releasing that algorithm on PyPI. Putting together a simple
> Python package is *really* easy once you know how -- 10 lines of
> setup.py, 'python setup.py register; python setup.py sdist upload' --
> and sphinx gives a compelling infrastructure for writing docs, etc.

Big +1 to this *idea*, though for the sake of realism and resources,
I'd be inclined to tackle only the 'pure user' spec at first, let the
dust settle, and then go for this approach a bit later.  But you're
right on the money that in the long-term, we *must* make it really,
really easy to erase the boundary between 'user' and 'developer' on
all fronts.