[SciPy-User] Pylab - standard packages

Nathaniel Smith njs@pobox....
Fri Sep 21 17:14:35 CDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 9:32 PM,  <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
> main failure of pip: no installation of binaries
>
> easy_install xxx
> is still my favorite (on Windows) except when it doesn't find any
> compatible binaries.

Apparently this is a legitimately horrible technical issue, because it
turns out that you and I can have two builds of the exact same version
of Python on the exact same version of Windows and yet they will not
be ABI compatible. (E.g., for version <3.3, you can choose different
widths for the unicode type at compile time.)

I suppose a possible medium-term solution for our purposes would be to
add "must be ABI compatible with python.org-distributed python" to our
list of requirements, and then hack our installation interface to
check for and install such binaries. ("medium-term" because it would
take too much work to count as a short-term solution, but
significantly less than implementing a proper binary package and
getting bentoshop off the ground.)

-n