[SciPy-User] Pylab - standard packages

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers@gmail....
Sat Sep 22 08:46:57 CDT 2012

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 2:16 PM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22 September 2012 12:31, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Can you please first explain what the IPython devs think about stability
> of
> > the format? Are there any backward or forward incompatible changes in the
> > pipeline?
>
> The format, we should say, is versioned. IPython 0.12 saves in format
> version 2, and 0.13 in version 3. I think we have made some *backwards
> compatible* changes since then (so notebooks saved with the current
> master can be opened in 0.13), and I don't think we have any
> incompatible changes being planned. If I've missed some, hopefully
> Fernando will correct me. The idea is that any backwards incompatible
> change increments the format version.
>
> The versioned format means it should always be forwards compatible -
> you can open a notebook saved with any earlier version. In this case,
> you get a pop-up alerting you that saving will update the format.

I think you have forwards and backwards compatible the wrong way around.
Forwards compatible would be that you can open version 4 files, if that's
introduced in IPython 0.14 or later, in 0.13. In my opinion you need either
forward compatibility or by default keep saving in version 3 even after you
have version 4, if you want to make the format a standard.

Ralf