[SciPy-User] Pylab - standard packages

Travis Oliphant travis@continuum...
Mon Sep 24 01:33:12 CDT 2012

On Sep 23, 2012, at 4:36 PM, Thomas Kluyver wrote:

> On 23 September 2012 21:53, Nathaniel Smith <njs@pobox.com> wrote:
>> So keeping the notebook out of the
>> spec for now will motivate you guys to go get that code fixed :-).
>
> We discussed it recently with Carlos Cordoba (a Spyder dev), but I'm
> not sure what the issue is, nor whether IPython, Spyder or both need
> to fix things. I've just opened an (IPython) issue to work this out:
> https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/2425
>
> As Josef says, the aim of having this discussion on scipy-user was to
> reach a broad audience. I think we need some to bootstrap this some
> more before it's worth making a new mailing list for it. It looks like
> no Spyder/Python(x,y) representatives are reading this, so I'll post a
> message on their discussion group to let them know about it.

My suggestion is to move this discussion to the numfocus@googlegroups.com list because NumFOCUS is already *very* interested in supporting a project like this and could bless the work with an actual distribution and not *just* a list on a web-page.

There, the discussion does not just have to be abstract and only about trying to encourage other people to do something.   We can discuss what should actually go into the pylab meta-package that NumFOCUS can be supporting.  A reference implementation of the pylab distribution is well within the scope of NumFOCUS.