[SciPy-User] assignment optimization problem

denis denis-bz-py@t-online...
Tue Apr 2 05:22:51 CDT 2013

Neal Becker <ndbecker2 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Are there python tools for addressing problems like assignment? At this point,
> I don't fully understand my problem, but I believe it is a mixture of discrete
> assignment together with some continuous variables.  My son suggests coding it
> by hand using some kind of simple hill climbing, but maybe I could leverage
> existing code for this?

Neal,
http://code.google.com/p/python-zibopt  does mixed integer programming,
i.e. linear prog + some integer constraints --
could that help ?

(I like its little language for separating a readable problem
description from solvers, number-crunching.
Is there a general-purpose framework for such,
"general-purpose" meaning > 1 user ?
Cf. wikipedia AMPL and APMonitor.)

cheers
  -- denis