[SciPy-User] Value that compare two

Tue Apr 2 09:15:21 CDT 2013

Hello,

this is not exactly a scipy question... but I want to implement it with scipy.
;-)

I have two datasets of shape: (n, 2), each row consists of a coordinate and a
pressure value from experiments or simulations.

I want to compare these two sets and get some kind of integral distance value.

delta = abs(data2 - data1)
delta[:,0] = data1[:,0] # I don't want to delta the coordinates
sum_delta = np.trapz(delta[:,1], x = delta[:,0])

This works fine, but I also want to have a normalized delta value (aka
percentage).

Before I try to invent another wheel which at the end will look rather
rectangular:

Is there some best practice way to compute such a value?

If one could also give a quotable source of the algorithm it would be even
more perfect!

Thanks,

Florian