[SciPy-User] Detecting Causal Relation in a Scatterplot

jkhilmer@chemistry.montan... jkhilmer@chemistry.montan...
Mon Apr 22 10:29:44 CDT 2013

 > On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 3:49 PM, Lorenzo Isella
> <lorenzo.isella@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear All,
>> I hope this is not too off topic.
>> I am given a set of scatteplots (nothing too fancy; think about a
>> normal x-y 2D plot).
>> I do not deal with two time series (indeed I have no info about time).
>> If I call A=(A1,A2,...) and B=(B1, B2, ...) the 2 variables (two
>> vectors of numbers most of the case, but sometimes they can be
>> categorical variables), I can plot one against the other and I
>> essentially I need to determine whether
>>
>> A=f(B, noise) or B=g(A, noise)
>>
>> where the noise is the effect of other possibly unknown variables,
>> measurement errors etc.... and f and g are two functions.

Lorenzo,

You definitely need time if possible.  Reference Sugihara and Munch in
Science, vol 338, 2012: "Detecting Causality in Complex Ecosystems".

Jonathan