[SciPy-User] installing scipy under rhel 5

Tom Aldcroft aldcroft@head.cfa.harvard....
Tue Feb 19 15:37:37 CST 2013

I use a home-brew package installer for CentOS5 (RHEL5) which is not
pretty but does successfully build SciPy and its dependencies all from
source.  (For bonus you can see how to build Gtk+ and PyGtk on RHEL5
which is even harder).  The build script  includes the exact version
numbers (sometimes not the latest) that are known to work.

You can try building scipy following the steps in these build scripts:

  https://github.com/sot/skare/blob/master/cfg/num_libs.cfg
  https://github.com/sot/skare/blob/master/cfg/num_sci_src.cfg

The exact versions of libraries that are known to work are available in:

  https://github.com/sot/skare/blob/master/pkgs.manifest

There is also a lot of cruft in there related to our work environment
that you should ignore.

Hope that helps,
Tom