[SciPy-User] Hacking scipy and running the tests

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers@gmail....
Mon Feb 25 14:17:40 CST 2013

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 8:51 PM, Skipper Seabold <jsseabold@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 2:36 PM, Lars Buitinck <L.J.Buitinck@uva.nl>wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've submitted several patches to Scipy so far, am I've hit this
>> problem every time: you can't import Scipy from within the source dir,
>> so you can't run the tests without building and installing. But that
>> takes a long time, and then when you edit a file, you either have to
>> edit it in the installation and not forget to copy it back (without
>> help from Git), or you must rebuild and reinstall.
>>
>> Is there a smarter way to do all this? How do the Scipy core developers
>> do this?
>>

> AFAIK, you don't have to rebuild unless you're editing the C/Cython
> sources. In this case I often use (or make) the existing subpackage
> setup.py to only rebuild what I need.
>
> If you've built the source in place
>
> python setup.py build_ext --inplace

In-place build is what I use as well. Plus a second git repo (which pulls
from upstream and my main repo) for multi-python-version testing of PRs and
my own changes with "tox -e py27,py33".

Ralf