[SciPy-User] scipy can't find a LAPACK routine

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers@gmail....
Tue Jan 22 13:15:54 CST 2013

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 5:39 PM, Cable, Sam B Civ USAF AFMC AFRL/RVBXI <
Sam.Cable@kirtland.af.mil> wrote:

> Hope I’m not making a pest out of myself by reposting this, guys, but I’m
> getting kind of desperate.  Am trying to install scipy.  It can’t find an
> object that is supposed to be in LAPACK:****
>
> ** **
>
> ImportError: .../flapack.so : undefined symbol: sgges_****
>
> ** **
>
> I have followed the FAQ instructions, building ATLAS with the option for
> the full LAPACK build.  I have also found a pre-compiled LAPACK binary and
> just dropped it in place.  Nothing changes the outcome.  ****
>
> ** **
>
> Running “nm” on liblapack.a shows that it contains sgges_, no doubt about
> it.  And “system_info.py” finds liblapack.a in /usr/local/lib just fine.
> So I don’t know what the problem is.****
>
> ** **
>
> Can anyone tell me if this is critical, and what else might be done?

Yes, that's a problem. You're getting an import error, meaning you won't be
able to use at least part of the linear algebra functions.

I don't know exactly what the problem is, most likely still related to your
LAPACK being broken or the wrong liblapack.a being picked up at build time.
If you can't fix it by building from source, I suggest to either find an
RPM somewhere (if scipy is not shipped by CentOS, you could find a usable
one at http://rpm.pbone.net/) or use a complete scientific Python
distribution like EPD or Anaconda.

Ralf

**