[SciPy-User] Curious about the contents of __config__.py

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Mon Jul 1 20:28:12 CDT 2013

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 9:22 PM, klo uo <klonuo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 3:08 AM,  Josef wrote:
>>
>> AFAIK, from when I was still building scipy
>>
>> These are the files scipy was build against by the build script for
>> the scipy binaries. Since the libraries are statically linked, it
>> doesn't matter what other ATLAS you have on your computer, they are
>> not the ones used by this scipy installation, and the changes to the
>> config info won't reflect the "real" libraries.
>>
>> for example, your scipy uses the sse3 libraries, while your ATLAS
>> looks like sse2
>

> So my edit was useless. Good to know.

to answer the last part

as for purpose:
The information is useful as debug information when there are problems
with one of the libraries. (like "Please report your show_config if
you have a problem with xxx")

However, I don't know if any installers check the config info to see
whether packages are fortran compatible, my guess is they don't.
for example, mixing gcc numpy with mkl scipy should cause some errors.
I usually pay enough attention which installers I use, that I never
found out that information. (official binaries versus Gohlke binaries)

Josef