[SciPy-User] peer review of scientific software

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Sun Jun 2 10:51:02 CDT 2013

On 2 June 2013 15:59, zetah <otrov@hush.ai> wrote:

> You were mentioning a group of users, and encouraging some routes, so I
> thought your initial discussion was concerning some group known to you.

'type of users' might have been a more accurate phrase, but it has an
unfortunate negative ring that I wanted to avoid. There are a lot of people
doing important data analysis in quite risky and hard-to-maintain ways.
Using spreadsheets where some simple code might be more reliable is one
symptom of that, and there have been a couple of major examples from
economics where spreadsheet errors led to serious mistakes.

The discussion is revolving roughly around whether and how we can push
those users towards better tools and methods, like coding, version control
and testing.

Thomas