[SciPy-User] peer review of scientific software

Jason Grout jason-sage@creativetrax....
Mon Jun 3 08:20:51 CDT 2013

On 6/2/13 1:47 AM, Matthew Brett wrote:
> The person who is trying to do work in Excel, that should be done in a
> programming language, needed that training.

I'm not sure where in the discussion I should post this, but I wanted to
make a comment about the prevalence and power of tools like Excel that I
just realized.  I've been watching Brett Victor's videos recently, and I
just realized that a spreadsheet, with its initial orientation to
concrete data, does a good job of implementing his "ladder of
abstraction" [1].  You first work with concrete data, then you
parametrize the results (e.g., write formulas for the cells), etc.  With
programming, we need to basically come up with the abstraction right
away, which is more difficult.  It seems like there is a good tool in
the middle ground there that would basically be a spreadsheet that
writes your python program for you, letting you play with the data
interactively, but the parametrization of your operations writes the
python code.

Anyways, some thoughts.  I realize there are some stats packages that
basically do this (write a script as you click through a gui).

Thanks,

Jason

[1] http://worrydream.com/#!/LadderOfAbstraction; another very
interesting Bret Victor video is: