[SciPy-User] peer review of scientific software

Suzen, Mehmet msuzen@gmail....
Tue Jun 4 03:07:17 CDT 2013

On 28 May 2013 20:23, Calvin Morrison <mutantturkey@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://arxiv.org/pdf/1210.0530v3.pdf
>
> Pissed-off Scientific Programmer,
> Calvin Morrison

Those recent papers and discussions all talk about good practises. I
was thinking
today in the bus, why there are not many literature on scientific
software development
methodologies. One explicit paper I found was from 80s called

A Development Methodology for Scientific Software
Cort, G. et. al.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TNS.1985.4333629

It is pretty classic approach for today's standard,  There is also a book about
generic style and good practice, its a pretty good book (might be
mentioned in this list before):

Writing Scientific Software: A Guide to Good Style
Suely Oliveira and David E. Stewart
http://www.cambridge.org/9780521858960

but I don't see any reference to modern development methodologies specifically
address to scientific software. For example: extensions of test driven
development,
which would suit better than classic
specification-design-coding-testing. Test cases
would be directly related to what we would like to achieve in the
first place. For example
a generic density of something etc. I haven't heard anyone developing
scientific software
in this way...yet.

Best,
-m