[SciPy-User] peer review of scientific software

Matthew Brett matthew.brett@gmail....
Thu Jun 6 07:59:44 CDT 2013

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 1:56 PM,  <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, I found the stats.linregress case
> https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/433
>
> There is no way I write unit tests for all edge cases that I never
> expect to show up.
> For sure you find bugs/behavior like this in many packages, and I
> wouldn't trust any package for extreme cases, no matter what their
> test suite is.

I guess that means the user has to know what you thought an extreme case was?

I think the point of test driven development is precisely in order to
specify the edges before you've locked yourself down to an
implementation.  If one write's the implementation first one often
does forget the edges.

Cheers,

Matthew