[SciPy-User] Question about the position and orientation of the 2dcircle in Mayavi's quiver3d plotting function

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Fri Mar 8 04:24:37 CST 2013

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 11:35 PM, Martin van Leeuwen
<vanleeuwen.martin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Python users,
>
> I am using the Mayavi toolkit quite a bit, because it is a very nicely
> packaged 3D visualization toolkit. I use it mainly for displaying triangle
> meshes and point cloud data, but recently I found it necessary to visualize
> disks as well. The mayavi.mlab.quiver3d() function seems to be adequate for
> this, however its '2dcircles' are oriented contrary to what I expected. I
> expected that these 2dcircles would be oriented so that their normal vectors
> would point in the direction that a normal '2darrow' would point to, but it
> doesn't. Instead, the normal vector of the 2dcircle is orthogonal to the
> direction of the 2darray. In addition the 2dcircle is not centered on the 3D
> point (specified by the x,y,z input arrays), but touches it. Is there a way
> around this? Or is there another function I overlooked that centers the
> circles onto a 3D coordinate?
>
> Thanks in advance! Any help is appreciated.

Questions about Mayavi are best asked on enthought-dev or StackOverflow.

Robert Kern