[SciPy-User] assignment optimization problem

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Sun Mar 31 07:51:11 CDT 2013

On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 12:59 PM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are there python tools for addressing problems like assignment?  At this point,
> I don't fully understand my problem, but I believe it is a mixture of discrete
> assignment together with some continuous variables.  My son suggests coding it
> by hand using some kind of simple hill climbing, but maybe I could leverage
> existing code for this?

There are some tools for simple linear assignment.

  https://pypi.python.org/pypi/munkres/
  https://pypi.python.org/pypi/hungarian/
  https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyLAPJV/

None of them will help if you need to do continuous optimization as
well. You may be able to get a satisficing answer by alternating
linear assignment and continuous optimization, but I'm pretty sure
there are no algorithmic guarantees with that approach.

You may be able to cast your problem as a mixed integer programming
problem. Check out the tools provided by Coopr and COIN-OR:

  https://software.sandia.gov/trac/coopr
  http://www.coin-or.org/

--
Robert Kern