[AstroPy] Conversion between physical and world coordinate systems

Aaron Steffen steffen at astro.psu.edu
Mon Apr 17 09:17:47 CDT 2006

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know if there exists Python code that does coordinate
transformations for image files opened in pyfits?  I know that
pydrizzle.wcsutil.rd2xy (and xy2rd) converts between these two
systems, but it only accepts single (ra, dec) tuple and does not
handle array input or output.  Also, I am *assuming* that it opens
the file to read in the header information each time it is called,
and I am looking for a function that will take a header that you have
already read in and will use it to do the coordinate transformation
(thus minimizing disk access).

Aaron Steffen
The Pennsylvania State University
Office: 814-863-6841