[AstroPy] Porting "IDL Astronomy User's Library" to numpy

Perry Greenfield perry@stsci....
Mon Jul 16 11:03:46 CDT 2007

On Jul 16, 2007, at 9:13 AM, Yannick Copin wrote:

> Hi,
> I'd be interested in some astronomical utilities from the IDL
> Astronomy User's
> Library (http://idlastro.gsfc.nasa.gov/contents.html) converted to
> python/numpy. I had a look to idl2python
> (http://software.pseudogreen.org/i2py/), but the automatic
> translation fails,
> mostly because (I think) the conversion is Numeric-oriented, and
> because of
> the intrinsic differences in the function argument management
> between IDL and
> python.
> So, before pursuing in this direction, I'd like to know if this
> exercice has
> already been done, at least partially.
We have the idea of doing it, but not in a very literal sense
(translating idl routines to Python counterparts). There has been
some work in this area on our part, but because of budget pressures,
much less over the last 2 years than hoped (things are looking better
now, but it may be some months before activity picks up on this front

Work so far on our part has centered on:

Coordinate transformation utilities
Synthetic photometry

So if you are interested in doing more literal translations, please
feel free to go right ahead. There is even a place to put such stuff: