[AstroPy] pyfits: reading fits data problem

Perry Greenfield perry@stsci....
Tue May 26 09:00:39 CDT 2009

On May 26, 2009, at 9:26 AM, Guillaume Blanc wrote:

> Thanks a lot for your quick replies...
> Actually my fits file was effectively not "standard". If I set the
> DATE keyword in the standard form (using the sethead script from
> wcstools), it works, even if the fits verifier says: "*** Error:
> File has extra byte(s) after last HDU at byte 63360." ??
> But perhaps the pyfits library is too tightly linked to the
> standard... And the error sent was quite enigmatic.

I'll agree about the error message (if fixing the date indeed fixed
the problem). As to being too tightly linked to the standard, pyfits
tries to read files even if non-standard as long as the variance has a
unambiguous interpretation. It will complain about writing non-
standard files unless you specifically override the strictness to the
standard. In this case there may be a bug or problem regarding the
error handling we need to look at.

Thanks, Perry