[AstroPy] ChiantiPy - a Python interfact to the CHIANTI atomic database for astrophysical spectroscopy

Ken Dere kdere@gmu....
Wed Jul 7 08:04:58 CDT 2010

We are pleased to announce the release of ChiantiPy, a Python package
for calculating synthetic spectra from the CHIANTI atomic database for
astrophysical spectroscopy.  ChiantiPy provides the same functionality
as the existing IDL package.  One benefit of ChiantiPy is that it uses
Python, a freely available programming language.  ChiantiPy is
constructed as an object-oriented package that provides a good match to
the modular construction of the CHIANTI database itself.  Our intention
is to maintain both the IDL and Python packages for the indefinite future.

The documentation for ChiantiPy can be found at

and the software package can be downloaded from

Python is available for Windows, Mac OS, Linux and Unix.  ChiantiPy
itself has been developed on a Linux platform and has received most of
its testing on Linux.  In software development terminology, it is an
'alpha' release, meaning it has not really undergone sufficient testing
in a variety of environments.  We welcome reports of user's experiences
on the chiantipy-users email list on Sourceforge:

In addition, several discussion forums have been set up at

Ken Dere and the CHIANTI team

Kenneth P. Dere
Research Professor of Solar Physics
Dept. of Computational and Data Sciences
MS 6A2
George Mason University
4400 University Drive
Fairfax VA 22030