[AstroPy] Co-ordinating Python astronomy libraries?

Johann Cohen-Tanugi cohen@lpta.in2p3...
Mon Jul 19 04:11:40 CDT 2010

On 07/19/2010 08:50 AM, Erik Tollerud wrote:
> Just one clarification I'd like to make - I would agree that the
> smaller targeted packages are probably a good idea in this situation,
> but the point I'm making is that coding standards for all of the
> packages under the umbrella project should be consistent, and that's
> easier to do from the group up.  Things like the use of capital
> letters for the beginning of class names, consistent use of the *same*
> package to do tasks that are the same (like my model fitting example),
One package for any model fitting? That does not seem very reasonable.
Even xspec does not come close to this!
Model fitting is a ultra high level analysis tool. I do not think that
we are at the stage that we can contemplate this kind of issues.
I am doing single photon high-energy astrophysics  (Fermi LAT data) : I
can assure you that my spectral needs are totally different from a CCD
based spectral analysis "a la" X-rays.... But I still need a seamless
way to interface WCS and easily visualize astronomical data, with
contour overlaid etc..., whatever the underlying system of coordinates
used or the projection method requested.