[AstroPy] Rotating a FITS image (or just its WCS)

Marshall Perrin mperrin@stsci....
Wed Jun 12 12:06:04 CDT 2013

On Jun 12, 2013, at 12:47 PM, "Eric L. N. Jensen" <ejensen1@swarthmore.edu> wrote:
> So, I'm wondering about rotating the image itself and leaving the WCS unchanged.  So, is there a straightforward way to rotate an image by an arbitrary angle?  (Ideally with handling things like padding the image so it remains rectangular.)

The 'reshape' keyword will do the padding you mention.

One caveat with this is that it can only do rotations about the exact center point of the array. That is often but not always what you want…

 - Marshall