[IPython-dev] Problems with installation on Windows/Cygwin

Andrew Malcolmson andzy at imap.cc
Thu Jul 31 10:13:49 CDT 2003

A couple of installation problems on Windows 2k using the latest cvs and
Python 2.3 rc2:

I've environment variables defined in Windows

Under Cygwin, $HOME translates to

Problem #1 Installing under regular Windows works fine though, contrary
to the docs, $HOME is ignored and the .ipython dir is installed to the
root of $HOMEDRIVE.  I had to set IPYTHONDIR to my $HOME\.ipython to get
Ipython look for the settings.

Problem #2 Installing from Cygwin zsh, the installation script fails
trying to use the following path to make the $HOME/.ipython dir:

Looks like it's using a path made from Cygwin/$HOME + Windows\HOME