[IPython-dev] IPython license switch: LGPL -> BSD

Ville Vainio vivainio at kolumbus.fi
Sat Oct 2 08:17:40 CDT 2004

Fernando Perez wrote:

> the switch.  Additionally, ipython distributes (unmodified) Bill
> Bumgarner's DPyGetOpt and Ka-Ping Yee's Itpl, but these modules are
> MIT[4] licensed, so there is no problem there either.  I will leave
> those modules as they are today.

Why not use the MIT license for the whole ipython? On a c.l.py
discussion that took place a while ago, the MIT license was seen as more
straightforward and "obviously free" (nothing is free enough to some
die-hards) than the BSD license.

Or is:
Neither the name of the <ORGANIZATION> nor the names of its contributors
may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
without specific prior written permission.

important to you in some specific manner?

> Please note that I am NOT soliciting feedback on this decision, nor am
> I proposing a discussion on licenses.  This decision is made and
> final.  So unless you:

Oops, I did it already :-). BSD is fine with me.