[IPython-dev] Towards IPython 1.0, the famous big cleanup

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Fri Apr 15 13:50:27 CDT 2005

> >Not that I like the new decorator syntax, but something like:
> >
> >@InteractiveShell.magicmethod
> >def run_batch(...)
> >
> >Is pretty easy to read and grok.
> Yup, but that's 2.4.  I'm trying to hold on to 2.2 compatibility for as
> long as I can.  That may be too much to ask, but definitely 2.3 will be a
> target, so 2.4-specific features may be out.

You can easily do both (I think).  Just make your new_magic_method(x) do:

x = InteractiveShell.magicmethod(x)

Then people adding new magic (if they are using 2.4) can use the easier
decorator syntax, and the rest of the world can do it however they want

Anyway, I've been reading various cool tricks people are doing with
decorators, so I had it on the brain :)